[Ironruby-core] Reply to list ... caving to popular demand

M. David Peterson m.david at xmlhacker.com
Fri Sep 14 09:57:05 EDT 2007

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:39:30 -0600, Charles Oliver Nutter
<charles.nutter at sun.com> wrote:
> Good! Keep talk on list..if it's irrelevant, ignore the entire thread.
> But there may be a really useful gem that comes out of the tail-end of
> an off-topic conversation. Anyone who continues to have off-topic
> conversations on-list can be gently prodded off-list...and besides, all
> our emails are still in the "From" header anyway...it's not hard to send
> just to one person.

Fair enough.

> I've never been on a list configured in such a way...and it seems like
> an easy way for spammers to sneak by list configurations.

To be honest, I'm not 100% sure if I have either.  It seems like there are
several lists that I'm subscribed to that seem to react this way, but I
couldn't swear by it.

The spammers point I'm not sure is relevant, as *if* my assumption as to
the way some of the lists I subscribe to work is correct, the only way a
list server would accept a response and propogate that response was if a
list member Cc'd them, the list server software then adding their name to
a temporary whitelist for use with that particular thread only.  If I'm a
spammer and subscribe to a list to then proceed to Cc: every person in my
database the list server isn't going to automatically add them to the
distribution list, only to an "it's okay for you to respond to this
thread" list.  If they do respond to that thread then their response will
be propagated.

> If they couldn't send to the list, only the original sender would be
> able to see their responses anyway. What good does that do the project?

Well, as per above, my point was that it seems to me there are several
lists I am subscribed to that will automatically accept responses to the
list from non-subscribers for a subject matter they were Cc'd on.  So in
this regard the entire list would receive their response.  They couldn't
start their own thread w/o subscribing, but they can respond and that
response will be sent out by the server.

But with all of this said, I also both recognize and agree that a standard
("Reply" == "Reply to all list subscribers") type setup provides
substantial benefits that you don't get otherwise.  'Tis why my original
response suggested that I'm good to go either way.  John made the
statement that nobody seemed interested in defending his viewpoint so it
seemed at least worth highlighting some of the benefits that can come with
using a (("Reply == Reply to those in the To: field), (Reply All == Reply
to everyone")) type configuration.

M. David Peterson
http://mdavid.name | http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354 |