[Ironruby-core] Reply to list ... caving to popular demand

M. David Peterson m.david at xmlhacker.com
Thu Sep 13 21:27:02 EDT 2007

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 17:58:50 -0600, Charles Oliver Nutter
<charles.nutter at sun.com> wrote:

> it encourages
> *public* discussion, which is what OSS thrives on.

True, though it also encourages off-topic discussions to take place
off-list.  I can think of countless times in which an off-topic
conversation was both started and continued on list due to the simple fact
that replying directly to list was easier than was composing a new email,
copying over all relavent information, and continuing.

Of course this is the exception to the rule, but there are other points to

* People who have been Cc'd who are not on the list can take part in the
conversation if the list server is configured to forward responses to a
topic from folks originally Cc'd from a list member.

	* In this particular case I would venture to state that there are enough
situations in which internal MSFT employees or external library developers
will have need to participate in a conversation and yet forcing them to go
through the sign-up process to take part in a single conversation is a bit
much to expect.

Personally I would think that this topic requires a bit more conversation
before the final switch has been flip.

Anybody care to +/-|counter/support the above and/or add additional
reasons why it makes sense to use a more open reply/response type

M. David Peterson
http://mdavid.name | http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354 |