[Ironruby-core] zlib implementation

Mike Moore blowmage at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 19:08:02 EDT 2007

On 9/13/07, Eric Nicholson <enicholson at gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting YAML implementation discussion aside...
>
> What's the goal in implementing Zlib on IR?  The reason I ask is that I'm
> wondering what level of compatibility we want with the canonical
> implementation.  There are a lot of things in the Zlib module/classes that
> are not readily available in System.IO.Compresssion (Adler-32 hashes,
> selectable compression levels, etc.).  Can we gloss over those and just
> implement a good inflate/deflate capability?

I might be okay with not having Zlib in IronRuby when IR is hosted within
Silverlight (partially because that framework is missing
System.IO.Compression).  But I'd expect IronRuby's Zlib to be 100%
compatible with MRI's ZLib when used on the desktop and server.  100% or as
close as we can get it.

Hey Charlie, what are you guys doing for Zlib in JRuby?

-Eric