[Ironruby-core] JvYAMLb Port (CsYAML?)

Charles Oliver Nutter charles.nutter at sun.com
Thu Sep 13 17:24:59 EDT 2007

Mike Moore wrote:
> Hey Ola, I'm glad to hear you are supportive of us porting your code.
> (Although I honestly expected no less.)  I'll volunteer to work on the
> port and I may be asking some questions.  Is it better to ask those
> questions directly to you?  Or to the jruby-dev mailing list?
> John, Ola's original JvYAML was licensed under MIT.  But the code in
> JRuby (JvYAMLb) appears to be tri-licensed under CPL, GPL, and LGPL.  Is
> this an issue?

One decision you're going to have to make pretty early on is whether to
support Ruby's strings exactly or to try wrapping CLR string constructs
that use UTF-16 characters. We started out with the latter, and aside
from the obvious down side of doubling memory use for all strings, we
ran into much more serious problems trying to get decent IO performance;
every operation required encoding and decoding to/from bytes. Then
there's the issues with so many libraries just expecting to work with
bytes, expecting UTF-8 logic in regular expressions and String methods,
and it just got progressively more complicated.

JvYAML has both a char and a byte-based version. The byte-based version
is directly incorporated into JRuby, while the char-based version is

- Charlie