[Ironruby-core] JvYAMLb Port (CsYAML?)

John Lam (CLR) jflam at microsoft.com
Thu Sep 13 15:37:29 EDT 2007

> From: Ola Bini [mailto:ola.bini at gmail.com]
> > John, Ola's original JvYAML was licensed under MIT.  But the code in
> > JRuby (JvYAMLb) appears to be tri-licensed under CPL, GPL, and LGPL.
> > Is this an issue?
> >
> Eh. CPL should be fairly free, but I could separate everything that I'm
> the sole author of and relicense it if you really need. (That will be a
> hassle with ByteList though, since that is a generic JRuby class, that
> many have contributed to.)

We have an issue here that we want to drive through legal, which is releasing IronRuby under multiple licenses. This shouldn't be a problem, but it is an issue if we are going to try and package IronRuby for release ourselves (which we should do). Like a lot of things that we do around here, it's always simpler if we could take one step at a time. I suspect that MsPL + MIT as a start would be nice. MsPL + CPL would be fine too. But MsPL + GPL + LGPL would be a much harder sell.

Is there a chance that we could identify the bits that are GPL + LGPL and reimplement them ourselves?