[Ironruby-core] Reply-to address

M. David Peterson m.david at xmlhacker.com
Thu Sep 13 13:44:09 EDT 2007

On Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:21:58 -0600, John Lam (CLR) <jflam at microsoft.com>
wrote:

> I personally like the current behavior where a Reply will reply to the
> original poster vs. a Reply All which will reply to the original poster
> + the list.

This is an age old debate that dates back to the early, early, early days
of Internet mailing lists.  There's advantages to both.  I have no real
preference myself.

> This will, of course, spam the original poster on a reply all.

That depends on the back-end software.  *Most* modern list servers parse
the To: and Cc: fields and remove any addresses it recognizes from the
distribution list before echoing the message to the list members.  XML-Dev
and W3C mailing lists are two examples that I can think of that do things
this way.

--
/M:D

M. David Peterson