[Ironruby-core] zlib implementation

John Lam (CLR) jflam at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 12 20:02:56 EDT 2007

Thanks for looking into this, Eric! I think that this will work.

We don't have a policy regarding distributing other OSS components with IronRuby. I think that given the finite # of libraries to consider that we'll look at them on a case by case basis.

I think in the case of zlib that redistributing the zlib.net library makes perfect sense. There's a couple of things that I think would be great:

1)      Let's see if it's possible to write the zlib .rb wrapper today (I kind of doubt it given our lack of some language features but you can certainly try :))

2)      We would really like zlib.net to run on Silverlight as well. I haven't looked at the code for zlib, but it would be great if we could see if it would compile under Silverlight (or figure out what we would need to do to get it to compile under Silverlight).

I think we'll wind up redistributing the compiled binary of zlib.net with IronRuby with a multiple license agreement. We need to run this past the lawyers, but I'm pretty confident that shipping a BSD licensed component alongside of our MsPL code should be OK. Worst case we get someone in the community a'la Curt Hibbs to help us package this stuff up :)

Thanks!
-John