[Ironruby-core] zlib implementation

Mike Moore blowmage at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 19:58:42 EDT 2007

On 9/12/07, John Lam (CLR) <jflam at microsoft.com> wrote:
>  We would love to have a managed implementation since it makes life so
> much easier – especially as we begin the inevitable move to 64 bit in the
> future.
> I haven't done the investigation between zlib and System.IO.Compression.
> Are you volunteering, Mike? J
I actually spent a couple hours working through Ruby's Zlib last night
trying to familiarize myself with it.  I've never used it before which is
why I asked the question.  :)

Right now the two big needs are Zlib and YAML.  So here are my uninformed
thoughts.  Please correct me.

Zlib:: Determine if we can use System.IO.Compression.  If not, we may have
to re-implement zlib in C# or use an existing port if the license is
compatible.  A zlib implementation in C# (using System.IO.Compression if
possible) could be useful for other DLR languages, so that's something to
keep in mind.

YAML:: From what I've read about JRuby's YAML implementation, getting it to
work like Syck was a major issue.  We could start with Ola's RbYAML once
IronRuby will run it, but we will probably need to build a native library
for performance reasons (just like JRuby did).  Long term, the two options I
see are porting Ola's JvYAML, or porting _why's Syck to C#.  I'm somewhat
partial to porting Syck so that it can be reused in other languages.  I
wonder how much of IronRuby's parser we could re-purpose to get Syck on