[Ironruby-core] C# YAML parser status?

Mike Moore blowmage at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 12:08:46 EDT 2007

On 9/6/07, Judah Himango <judahgabriel at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi IronRuby folks
>
> I'm interested in contributing to the IronRuby project. I see John Lam has
> one good contribution would be in the form of a C# YAML parser.

I know the JRuby guys spent alot of time on the YAML library.  They
eventually moved to a pure Java implementation for performance reasons.  One
of the major issues was keeping compatibility with how SYCK works on the
Ruby implementation.  I believe there are still some edge cases in JvYAML
that are not fully compatible between JRuby and MRI Ruby.

My question is, has work started on a YAML parser yet? If not, would it be
> kosher to base the C# implementation off of the open source Jyaml
> implementation (Yaml for Java)?

I think this is a good question.  Do we have any issues basing a new library
off of an existing open source code base?  Are issues like this covered in
the contributor's agreement?