[Ironruby-core] MS.Scripting

John Lam (DLR) jflam at microsoft.com
Fri Oct 26 03:31:50 EDT 2007

olivier dufour:

> I have a little question about MS.Scripting.
> I am making the JScript compiler for moonlight and I have used
> MS.Scripting.dll of silverlight all the time(v2.1).
> But thanks to the fact that you said that there is version 2.1 for
> embedding in browser and 2.0. I want to try 2.0 to make a console
> compiler.

Glad to see that you're using the DLR!

> I have used the ironruby MS.Scripting as reference to build
> MS.JScript.Compiler/Runtime dll and I see that the ironruby
> MS.Scripting is far from the one of Silverlight even in namespace(
> MS.Scripting.Internal.Ast become MS.Scripting.Ast for example). What
> is the plan for it? Is the current version of ironruby is custom or
> out dated or is it a development version?
> thanks for any feedback.

The DLR sources are the current development version. The way that our internal (Merlin) repository works is that all of the languages within Microsoft (Python, Ruby, JS and VB) all live in the same repository. This way when we refactor the DLR, we can make changes immediately in the affected languages without forcing them to break.

When I sync IronRuby to SVN, I pull the latest sources from the Merlin tree and I extract a subset of those sources (DLR + IronRuby + some tests) into the public IronRuby SVN tree.

Hope that helps,