[Ironruby-core] "Taint" and (internal) copy constructors

Curt Hagenlocher curt at hagenlocher.org
Thu Oct 25 12:25:21 EDT 2007

On 10/25/07, Charles Oliver Nutter <charles.nutter at sun.com> wrote:
> frozen is another thing entirely, and it has good uses (locking down
> strings and arrays so they can't be modified, for example).

Are extensions not able to ignore "frozen", then?

Other than strings and arrays, it's hard for me to see a compelling reason
for this feature.  But then, my thinking is undoubtedly influenced by
Python, where strings are immutable and "frozen arrays" are called
tuples. :)

More to the point of this list, though, how can you decide which features of
CRuby to ignore?  It can't just be a matter of overhead, because the
overhead for "taint" seems to be almost exactly the same as that for
"frozen" -- both features require you to keep external bookkeeping
information for objects defined outside of Ruby when the feature is used.

Curt Hagenlocher
curt at hagenlocher.org