[Ironruby-core] trouble with super and .NET classes

Dermot Hogan lists at ruby-forum.com
Mon Oct 8 16:54:32 EDT 2007

The VS editor supports Ruby - it doesn't care which flavor it is. I can
edit and launch IronRuby from the editor just like I can with JRuby or
classic Ruby.

I can also generate IronRuby code from the Form Designer and generate a
Form layout back from the Ruby code. What I can't do is run the
generated IronRuby like you would VB or C# ... that's why I need the
Windows inheritance in IronRuby. The VS Form Designer is very picky and
works in a very specific way. You really have to do exactly what it
expects you to do. I've also got to code the Form Designer merge logic.

I haven't tried the debugger yet. The basics should be reasonably easy,
but I suspect the difficult bit will be getting the inspectors to work.
I spent a lot of time with Matz's Ruby getting VS debug expressions (the
watch windows and debug data tips) to work correctly. The main problem
is that there is no defined syntax for the string returned by inspect -
you can return what you like - and there are at least 7 or 8 different
formats.

The bulk of the work is really stitching the whole thing together -
there's no show stopper in there (but the Form Designer can be a real
pita). My problem is that I'm doing this in my spare time - of which I
don't have a lot :(

Dermot