[Ironruby-core] Help running IronRuby tests

Justin Bailey jgbailey at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 17:20:53 EDT 2007

I'd like to know how to run the unit tests, so I can check if my change
broke anything. The test harness is a little weird, in that it wants a bunch
of strange environment variables and paths. For example, trying "ruby run.rb"
in tests\ironruby gives:

tests/ironruby/common.rb:25: undefined method `+' for nil:NilClass
(NoMethodError)
        from run.rb:5:in `require'
        from run.rb:5

The stack trace points to this code in common.rb:

    MERLIN_ROOT     = get_environment_variable('MERLIN_ROOT')
    TEST_DIR        = MERLIN_ROOT + "/Languages/Ruby/Tests"
    CORECLR_ROOT    = MERLIN_ROOT + "/Utilities/Silverlight/x86ret"
    ROWAN_BIN       = get_environment_variable('ROWAN_BIN')

Where the "TEST_DIR" assignment fails. Anyone know a simple way to get the
test harness running? I'd be glad to test any instructions :)

Justin