[Ironruby-core] Public versus private discussion and community momentum

Charles Oliver Nutter charles.nutter at sun.com
Mon Oct 1 17:17:12 EDT 2007

M. David Peterson wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:59:18 -0600, Jb Evain <jb at nurv.fr> wrote:
>
>> I don't think it's worth going this way.
>
> If the end result is that greater interaction takes place, then fair
> enough: Charlie, you're not being a troll.
>
> But there is something I think seems to be overlooked: As far as I know,
> the IronRuby team is composed of three developers, and (potentially) one
> additional developer on loan.  Their trying to ship a 1.0 product.  How
> much additional time do they have?

I heard five developers, but perhaps that was a couple testers/QA as well.

I assume they email each other during this process; make those emails on
the public list, and suddenly everyone's a part of it. Granted, they
also have face-to-face communication, so perhaps there aren't as many
email discussions. But I'd love to see more MS chatter on this list, and
I think others feel the same way. OSS isn't something you throw over the
wall and say "here, fix this, I'll get back to you." Community takes
communication.

- Charlie