[Ironruby-core] Public versus private discussion and community momentum

M. David Peterson m.david at xmlhacker.com
Mon Oct 1 16:35:25 EDT 2007

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:17:17 -0600, Nicolai Moles-Benfell
<n.molesbenfell at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is Microsoft's first open source project, as a developer
> interested in contributing to IronRuby I am a little hesitant of this
> as I see a risk that the development will not be community based and
> therefore would be a bad investment of my time...

You're waxing philosophical.  From my own view point, as a community
member and contributor I want to gain the benefits obtained froma kick
a$$ implementation of the Ruby language that takes full advantage of all
the .NET platform has to offer.  The fact that MSFT might want to have
strategic planning meetings regarding their focus moving forward is their

 From your viewpoint it seems you want something different.  A
community-based group hug, or something.  Fair enough.  We're looking for
two different things.  But I do believe it's completely fair and
reasonable for MSFT to expect the ability to hold private strategy and
code planning meetings.

Here's the thing: If you don't trust MSFT, don't contribute any code.
Personally I do trust MSFT.  At least enough to be willing to contribute
code w/o the need of being a part of every conversation that takes place
regarding the past, present, and/or future of this project.

Charlie asked for others to weigh in.  I did.  Maybe I stand alone in my
viewpoint, but this is how I see things.

M. David Peterson
http://mdavid.name | http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/au/2354 |