[Ironruby-core] Public versus private discussion and community momentum

Curt Hagenlocher curt at hagenlocher.org
Mon Oct 1 16:32:27 EDT 2007

On 10/1/07, Nicolai Moles-Benfell <n.molesbenfell at gmail.com> wrote:

> This is Microsoft's first open source project

This is not really true, depending on what you mean; I think it's been over
two years since WiX was made open source.

I have to agree that the original poster's inclusion of the text

> I know there's always thoughts about secrecy and springing the next big
> software surprise on the world when working at Microsoft, but secrecy is
> poison to an OSS community.

does not speak well for his intentions.  But if you remove this one
sentence, his concerns seem pretty reasonable.

I think some of what we're seeing is a result of IronRuby's dependence on
the DLR -- which appears to be far from finalized, and which is not going to
be driven by the community at all.

--
Curt Hagenlocher
curt at hagenlocher.org