[Ironruby-core] Public versus private discussion and community momentum

Charles Oliver Nutter charles.nutter at sun.com
Mon Oct 1 14:39:36 EDT 2007

It seems like although there's some discussion on the RubyForge list
about IronRuby progress, challenges, things to work on, and the rest,
there's not as much discussion as a project might like, and practically
none from the Microsoft-based principals. That seems to hinder progress
and make it look like things are moving a bit slowly.

So this email is mostly for John, but I'd like to hear others weigh in...

Are there development discussions happening on private lists, say inside
Microsoft within the IronRuby or DLR team? If so, you should really
think about moving as much of those discussions as possible into the
open. They will help show that progress is being made, allow community
members to see the process and design moving forward, and most
importantly help the community feel like they're really a part of the

I know there's always thoughts about secrecy and springing the next big
software surprise on the world when working at Microsoft, but secrecy is
poison to an OSS community. If you want to get people excited about
helping out and getting involved, you can't keep them in the dark about
portions of the development process.

I think there's also a lot to be gained from sharing compiler/runtime
design discussions with a broader audience; there's a lot of strategy we
could share across implementations, to the benefit of all in the Ruby world.

- Charlie