[Ironruby-core] Implementing socket

Terence Lewis lewistm at gmail.com
Sun Dec 2 04:24:08 EST 2007

Hello list,

I've been playing around with the IronRuby source for a couple of days
trying to figure out how to start an implementation of socket. Unfortunately
I've run into some roadblocks, and I'd appreciate any advice you guys can
give:

1)  Where should my source file(s) live? Initially I created a file
Socket.cs in IronRuby.Libraries/BuiltIns, but then I noticed that all the
other files in that folder map directly to the "Built-in Classes and
Methods" chapter of the pickaxe book, whereas socket sits in the next
chapter - "Standard Library". So I had a look in the
IronRuby.Libraries/Extensions
folder, and decided to move the file in there, but I'm still not 100% sure
that's correct. Should there perhaps be a third folder here called
"StandardLibrary" or something?
2) How do I get the ruby line "require 'socket'" to work? I tried adding a
module called "socket" (a static class Socket with attribute
[RubyModule("socket")] and regenerating Initializer.Generated.cs, but when I
try and do "require 'socket'" from the interactive console, I get a
Ruby.Runtime.LoadError: "Could not load file or assembly 'socket'". This
leads me to believe that perhaps socket should be a separate dll, but I
think that must be wrong because you'd end up having a different dll for
every module in the standard library?
3) Is "module" the correct ruby term for what the socket library is? (I.e is
socket a ruby "module"?)

Thanks for your time

Terence