[Instantrails-users] !!! Path to log file not valid: log/mongrel.log

Robert Bazinet rbazinet at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 07:16:18 EST 2008

When running Instant Rails you don't need to install Mongrel, it's already
installed.  You also don't need to start Mongrel yourself as it runs
automatically when you choose to start your Rails application from the menu
Rails Applications->Manage Rails Applications.  If you select your
application by selecting the checkbox next to it and pressing the button
that says "Start with Mongrel", everything should work.

If you insist on running Mongrel manually, make sure you are in the
directory of your application, not in the rails_apps directory.

I hope this helps.

-Rob Bazinet

On Jan 18, 2008 1:53 AM, Roupen Nahabedian <roupenn at gmail.com> wrote:

> DISCLAIMER: I am a newb to RoR :)
> I downloaded and installed InstantRails 2.0. Everything comes up green
> when I start it (Apache and MySQL).
> I ran "gem install mongrel" and it ran successfully.
> However, when I try to start mongrel with "mongrel_rails start" I get the
> error message !!! Path to log file not valid: log/mongrel.log
> I'm trying to go through some exercises in  the book "Practical Rails
> Projects" which calls for starting mongrel in that fashion, so I  am stuck.
> I was able to run the cookbook and typo apps through the "I" button "Rails
> Application" menu item.

> WHAT AM I MISSING? Thanks. Roupen N.

Rob Bazinet
InfoQ Ruby and .NET Editor