[Instantrails-users] Create a virtual host using Instant Rails 1.7

Curt Hibbs curt.hibbs at gmail.com
Thu May 24 17:03:51 EDT 2007

On 5/24/07, udai kudikyala <udaikudikyala at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>    I created a new rails application called demo using Instant Rails 1.7.
> It runs at the URL http://localhost:3003/blog/
>
> The applications that a packaged with the zip file, cookbook and typo are
> currenlty the two virtual hosts.  I can already run them using the following
> URLs
> http://www.mycookbook.com and http://typo/
> Now, I want to add my application demo as the third virtual host in
> development mode.
> This application for example, could run on the URL http://www.mydemo.com/
> What files do I need to modify to set this up?

Just pick an unused port (like 3008 or something), and configure your rails
app to run there. Edit the apache config file (through the Instant Rails
menus) and duplicate the section already in there for eith typo or the
cookbook, and then change name and port to match your new app.

Finally edit you windows HOSTS file to map the new name to 127.0.0.1 (unless
you already have your own DNS server running).