[Instantrails-users] problem gettting started

William (Bill) Froelich wfroelich at dbsnow.com
Thu Mar 22 12:48:37 EDT 2007

	Hello. Just trying to get started with Ruby on Rails. I
downloaded and installed Instant Rails.

	I'm trying to follow Patrick Lenz's tutorial at
http://www.sitepoint.com/article/learn-ruby-on-rails, but I can't get
beyon his initial demonstration:

	(We'll start with a really brief example:
	irb> 1
	=> 1)

	From the Instant Rails control panel, I chose Rail Applcations /
Open Ruby Console Window.

	In the window, I type "irb>1" and enter. I excpect to see "=> 1,
but all I see is a blinking cursor.

	I tried installing on a second computer. Same result. I suspect
a configuration issue, but don't know how to address it.

	[Bill Froelich]  I think the confusion is in the fact that irb
is actually an application that you need to invoke first.  Irb is the
Interactive Ruby shell where you can play and try out things.

	Once you open the Ruby Console Window type irb and press
[Enter]. You should see the main irb prompt

	irb(main):001:0>

	Then when you type in the examples from the tutorial (the stuff
after the irb> ) you should see results very similar to what they are
indicating.

	Hope that helps!

	--Bill