[Instantrails-users] Setting up existing code in InstantRails

Curt Hibbs curt.hibbs at gmail.com
Tue Jun 19 15:14:20 EDT 2007

On 6/18/07, Scott Peterson <swp at mho.com> wrote:
>  I hope I'm not using this wrong; I was looking for a forum or something
> where I could get some help getting started.
> I've downloaded InstantRails, can see and use the example applications
> just fine.
> A friend has built a Rails application we're both going to develop one.
> I've hooked into his repository and downloaded the code to my machine (win
> XP), and have a bunch of instructions on running rake db:migrate to create
> the database and other things.
> I'd like to get started, but can't figure out how to connect that code to
> InstantRails.  I figure if I can get it started, I can start playing around
> on my box getting used to the syntax and whatnot.
> Thanks to anyone who has ideas.
> Scott

1) Put your existing Rails application in the "rails_apps" subdirectory of
Instant Rails, just as you see the the current sample apps "cookbook" and

2) Start up InstantRails.exe and use the menus to open a Ruby console window
(this ensures that ruby\bin is on the system path for that console session
and drops you into the "rails_apps" directory.

3) CD into the base directory for your Rails app.

4) You can now use the "rake" command to do things (like "rake