[Instantrails-users] Instarails with existing Ruby installation

Curt Hibbs curt.hibbs at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 10:04:28 EDT 2007

On 7/5/07, Zook, Nathan <Nathan.Zook at amd.com> wrote:
>  I've been doing development for the last few months with GTK on ruby.  I
> need Rails for a project I'm starting.  The installer appears to detect the
> existing installation sufficiently well to not step on it (or %PATH%), but
> this is causing more problems (and even more later).  Namely, rails is not
> in my path, I'm not going to be able to follow the tutorial.  Much more
> importantly, my rails aps are going to hit the non-rails installation
> directory.
>  The simple solution (to me) is for rails to do the necessary installs
> into any existing ruby install it finds.  I'm tempted to poke into source &
> try to do it myself, but I'm afraid of there being a bunch of places which
> hard-code the directory.
>  And yes, I'm going to be working on both projects now…
>  Help?
>  Nathan Zook

This is a little bit confusing since Instant Rails does not have an
installer, but let me take some educated gueses.

The whole point of Instant Rails is to not modify your system environment:
no registry entries, no path changes. When you want to do things in a
particular instance of Instant Rails you have to do it through the Instant
Rails manager application (InstantRails.exe).

So, for example, when you want to use the "rails" command you would use IR's
menus and select the menu command "Rails Applications > Open Ruby Console
Window". That will open a console window, and in that console window (only)
IR *will* be on the path... as the first item in the path. That way
everything you do in that window will uses the Ruby/Rails that belongs to
that instance of IR.

The same thing happens when you do other things from the IR manager (like
starting a Rails Apps with Mongrel) -- that instance of IR is put on the
path for that running instance only.