[Instantrails-users] Instarails with existing Ruby installation

Zook, Nathan Nathan.Zook at amd.com
Thu Jul 5 17:14:33 EDT 2007

I've been doing development for the last few months with GTK on ruby.  I
need Rails for a project I'm starting.  The installer appears to detect
the existing installation sufficiently well to not step on it (or
%PATH%), but this is causing more problems (and even more later).
Namely, rails is not in my path, I'm not going to be able to follow the
tutorial.  Much more importantly, my rails aps are going to hit the
non-rails installation directory.

The simple solution (to me) is for rails to do the necessary installs
into any existing ruby install it finds.  I'm tempted to poke into
source & try to do it myself, but I'm afraid of there being a bunch of
places which hard-code the directory.

And yes, I'm going to be working on both projects now...

Help?

Nathan Zook