[Instantrails-users] Staring application with Mongrel withoutshutting down IIS

Leonid Raiz Leonid at RaizLabs.com
Thu Jan 11 13:47:37 EST 2007

Just avoiding automatic start of Apache did not help. I experimented some
more and narrowed the problem a bit. It is possible that the question is
better directed at general RoR audience but I state it here just in case.
My windows hosts file contains     myapp
while InstantRails\conf_file\httpd.conf contains
<VirtualHost *>
    ServerName myapp
    ProxyPass / http://localhost:3004/
    ProxyPassReverse / http://localhost:3004

I am observing that when I shut down IIS, start Apache via IR and from IR
start myapp with Mongrel then browsing to http://myapp works as expected.
However if Apache is not started then I can't browse to myapp even though
Apache should not be used.
On further investigation I now suspect that the problem is related to
processing of httpd.conf (or its copy consumed by Apache). It appears that
when Apache is not running even though I can not browse to http://myapp, I
can browse to http://myapp:3004 . What is up with that? Is it a general RoR
issue and is there a way for me to address it so I am relieved of the
necessity to shut down IIS or type port number?
Fortunately I have to type port number just once. Subsequent browsing within
myapp automatically keeps the same port number.