[Instantrails-users] Staring application with Mongrel without shutting down IIS

Leonid Raiz Leonid at RaizLabs.com
Mon Jan 8 17:22:03 EST 2007

I installed IR 1.4 on Win XP and am learning RoR. Starting IR starts Apache
which correctly detects that port 80 already being used by IIS. Things are
working OK if I shut down IIS prior to staring IR. Since I run my
application with Mongrel (not Apache) and use port 3004 then I assume that I
should be able to avoid the annoying necessity to shut down IIS. My
simpleminded attempt to leave IIS running failed. When I try to connect to
my development site Windows prompts me to login to my development computer
using Guest account and would not accept any password.  I fail to see how
this behavior could possibly be connected with IIS left running. If IIS is
stopped first then no login dialog ever appears and the app is working with
Mongrel just fine.
Can someone explain why this is happening and suggest how to avoid it?