[Instantrails-users] InstantRails with Ruby One-Click Installer?

Curt Hibbs curt.hibbs at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 11:31:53 EST 2007

On 1/5/07, Dennis Sutch <dennis at sutch.com> wrote:
> Hi.  I would like to hear how/what other users are installing for
> development and reference support.  I currently have both InstantRails
> and the Ruby One-click Installer installed.  I don't like telling
> co-workers to install both (the OCI has lots of nice documentation
> useful to Rails developers).  Also, the Ruby OCI helps when needing to
> run Ruby scripts outside of the InstantRails environment.  Is it a
> given that both of these large downloads are needed, even though there
> is some overlap?

The Ruby that is included in Instant Rails *is* the one-click installer. The
main difference is the system modifications that the OCI installer makes
(puts ruby\bin on the path, creates file extension associations for *.rb and
*.rbw, and creates start menu entries). IR has also installed a bunch of
RubyGems to support Rails (most notably the Rails gem, itself).

If you can install the OCI in the ruby subdirectory of wherever you have
unzipped Instant Rails. This will give you all of these system mods without
taking up any more space. But, to avoid losing the installed RubyGems in the
process, you have to do it like this:

1) Temporarily rename the directory ...\InstantRails\ruby to something else
(like ...\InstantRails\ruby-save).

2) Install OCI at ...\InstantRails\ruby.

3) Now that you've got all the nifty system mods, delete the directory
...\InstantRails\ruby and rename ...\InstantRails\ruby-save back to its
original name.