[Instantrails-users] setting up ruby on rails

Curt Hibbs curt.hibbs at gmail.com
Thu Feb 1 08:43:05 EST 2007

On 2/1/07, P catastropri <catastropri at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I've been having some problems setting up ruby on rails, it installed
> fine but when I get to the part where 'manage rails applications' and then
> check cookbook and click on 'start with mongrel' another window opens for a
> few seconds then closes and when I go to the my cookbook website it says "
> '502 Proxy Error' - The proxy server received an invalid response from an
> upstream server. The proxy server could not handle the request *GET /<http://www.mycookbook.com/>
> *. Reason: *Error reading from remote server*
> ------------------------------
> Apache/1.3.33 Server at www.mycookbook.com <admin at localhost> Port 80 "
> And I'm not sure how to fix it
> Help!!!
> The Mongrel server window should not close. This means Mongrel is getting
some kind of error and terminating (which causes the console window to close
before you can read the error message that would tell you why).

What you should do is to manually open a console window using the Instant
Rails menu command "Rails Applications > Open Ruby Console Window", then
navigate into the base "cookbook" directory, and run the command
"mongrel_rails start".

Now when the error occurs, the window will stick around and you can read the
error message.