[Instantrails-users] Instead of using the command line

William (Bill) Froelich wfroelich at dbsnow.com
Mon Aug 20 01:48:20 EDT 2007

There are a number of ways that you can accomplish this.  I am assuming
you are using MySQL as the database.

1) You could use this as an opportunity to write a parser / importer in
Ruby using fastercsv or similar.

2) Do a bulk import to MySQL as described at the following link
http://www.modwest.com/help/kb6-253.html

3) Setup the data file and use rake.

4) Find a tool that supports the bulk import to MySQL.

How you approach it depends primarily on your current need.  #1 & #3
give you an opportunity to learn more about Ruby and database
interactions but #2 is probably the quickest to implement since it
should be existing functionality.

Note: I have not tested any of these approaches directly with MySQL but
do use the Oracle equivalent of #2 frequently.

Hope this helps!

--Bill Froelich