[Instantrails-users] An absolute minimal install of ruby and rails.

Tim Uckun timuckun at gmail.com
Mon Sep 18 23:29:48 EDT 2006

> Yes, the bin and lib directories are the only thing you need out of the ruby
> dir. Also, you can go to the command line and "gem uninstall fxruby" because
> you won't need that and its pretty big.

Here is what I have done so far.

I copied the ruby directory from instantrails into another directory.
I deleted all the directories except for bin and lib.
I opened up a command prompt and set my path to the new directory and
nothing else.
I did a gem clean and it cleaned up all the old gems IN THE NEW
DIRECTORY!. (ruby rocks)
I then did a gem uninstall fxruby.
Then I manually went in and cleared the cache directory and the
gems/doc directory.

At the end of all this I have 29.5 megs of stuff in 3219 files.  Each
gem has it's own doc directory and I suppose I can delete those too to
get a little more space.

Here is my problem though. All the cmd files in the bin directory have
hard coded paths in them of where instantrails used to be. For example
the cap.cmd says @ruby "D:/InstantRails/ruby/bin/cap" %*

That's not good. I want this app to be totally portable so there
should be no absolute paths at all.  I suppose I could set some
environment variable or something. Is there a better way to do this?
Does the windows command line have any equivalent of __FILE__?