[Instantrails-users] problems getting InstantRails working

William (Bill) Froelich wfroelich at dbsnow.com
Tue Oct 3 14:23:05 EDT 2006

It sounds like you are trying to have IIS serve up your Rails app.  Out
of the box InstantRails is configured to use apache for serving the
apps.  I suspect that there may be a port conflict between Apache and
IIS on port 80.

I would try shutting down IIS and following the InstantRails
instructions to confirm that the IR setup is working as expected.  Then
you can decide on how to move forward with IIS. I recall from others
posts to the main Rails list that getting IIS working can be
challenging.

> If i try http://www.railscookbook.com:3001 it just loads forever.
>
> This is all on Firefox.
>
> Thanks in advance
> Adam

This is typically a development URL that would be used with the dev web
server.  You can test this by going to the cookbook app directory and
starting Webrick from a command prompt.

c:\InstantRails-1.3\rails_apps\cookbook>ruby script/server

You should see output like the following

=> Booting WEBrick...
=> Rails application started on http://0.0.0.0:3000
=> Ctrl-C to shutdown server; call with --help for options
[2006-10-03 13:19:49] INFO  WEBrick 1.3.1
[2006-10-03 13:19:49] INFO  ruby 1.8.4 (2005-12-24) [i386-mswin32]
[2006-10-03 13:19:49] INFO  WEBrick::HTTPServer#start: pid=13148
port=3000

Then you can go to http://www.railscookbook.com:3000 and it should load
up as expected (assuming you made the entry in your local hosts file).

What I typically use is http://localhost:3000 for my development testing

Let us know if this works or what results you get and we can try
troubleshooting more.

Good luck and welcome to Rails!

--Bill