[Instantrails-users] Instant Rails and your own applications

Curt Hibbs curt.hibbs at gmail.com
Sat May 27 10:02:21 EDT 2006

On 5/27/06, Ian Connor <ian.connor at gmail.com> wrote:
> I was hoping for a one click install and people to not even know how to
> use mysql or migrate type stuff.
> However, I am not sure coping the sources will be enough as I would need
> to create a database.
> Having said that, this might be my ignorance on how these things work. If
> I have all the sql in the migration directory, how can I make sure it is run
> before the user starts?

You don't need to do this at all.

You can set up your database and populate its tabes with data and then zip
up the Instant Rails directory tree. This is how the cookbook sample app is
delivered with Instant Rails (take a look at the cookbook database, you'l
see all the tables there with data).

If you need to do more at installation time, then you'd have to create a
true installer. You could take a look at NSIS, which is used by the
One-Click Ruby Installer for Windows: