[Instantrails-users] Instant Rails and your own applications

Ian Connor ian.connor at gmail.com
Sat May 27 04:55:39 EDT 2006

I was hoping for a one click install and people to not even know how to use
mysql or migrate type stuff.

However, I am not sure coping the sources will be enough as I would need to
create a database.

Having said that, this might be my ignorance on how these things work. If I
have all the sql in the migration directory, how can I make sure it is run
before the user starts?

Ian.

On 5/26/06, Mickael Faivre-Macon <faivrem at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I use instant rails for development, on several machines.
> While the package would 50 Megs or more, it could also be used for
> distributing an app.
> But why not distribute only the sources and keep your table schema in
> migrations ?
> Your installation procedure would say to install instantrails and copy
> the sources into the rails_app dir and voila.
>
> Mickael.
>

> On 5/26/06, Ian Connor <ian.connor at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to make an open source rails project as easy as possible to
> install.
> >
> > Can I use Instant Rails for this? I treid to look at the FAQ but could
> not
> > see this was possible.
> >
> > Ideally I would like to have Instant Rails install Ruby, Rails, MySql,
> etc
> > and then have it add my application and add the mysql user (could be
> just
> > root also) and then the sql for creating the tables.
> >
> > Sound like fun or impossible?
> >
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Ian Connor