[Instantrails-users] completing & verifying Rails setup

Curt Hibbs curt.hibbs at gmail.com
Sat May 20 11:13:29 EDT 2006

I've never seen this either, but I did a google search for it and it appears
to have something to do with an unexpectedly dropped socket connection. But
I couldn't find anything further (in the short amount of time that I had to
spend on it), especially what could cause the dropped socket connection.

I do recall Zed Shaw saying the the pure Ruby MySQL adapter caused dropped
database connections (which is a socket connection) for him under high
loads. Although, this case is hardly a "high load".

As an experiment, you could try Instant Rails 1.3 (instead of 1.3a), because
the uses the C based MySQL adapter instead of the pure Ruby MySQL adapter.
The C based adapter caused seg faults on Windows 2000, but was OK on Windows
XP.  Anyway, its possible that this could fix your problem.