[Instantrails-users] SCGI Slowness Problem

Debaun, Steve Steve.Debaun at seminis.com
Mon Mar 27 13:28:43 EST 2006

Hi all,

So far, I'm loving the package... kudos to Curt for such a great
contribution!  Currently, however, I'm having a problem with getting SCGI to

InstantRails 1.0

Using a simple test app, I see response times like:
- Webrick: 3 seconds
- SCGI: 15 seconds

Further oddities... the log/scgi.log is just being populated with
start-event lines, no request handling is being logged at all.  In fact, if
I don't start the SCGI handler, the page still responds (and just as
slowly).  This leads me to believe that the SCGI handler isn't even being
called, and that 'something else' is handling the requests very slowly.

The :port: setting in scgi.yaml is set to 7001, and the Apache conf has a
VirtualHost with:
SCGIMount /dispatch.fcgi

SCGI mode is production.  I have no hosts entry because the hostname is a
real dns name.

Has anyone run into any problems with extreme SCGI slowness?  Can anyone
explain the things that are confusing me (no log entries, page renders
despite scgi not being started)?

This e-mail message may contain privileged and/or confidential information,
and is intended to be received only by persons entitled to receive such
information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender immediately. Please delete it and all attachments from any servers,
hard drives or any other media. Other use of this e-mail by you is strictly
All e-mails and attachments sent and received are subject to monitoring,
reading and archival by Seminis. The recipient of this e-mail is solely
responsible for checking for the presence of "Viruses" or other "Malware".
Seminis accepts no liability for any damage caused by any such code
transmitted by or accompanying this e-mail or any attachment.