[Instantrails-users] Missing iconv.dll file

William (Bill) Froelich wfroelich at dbsnow.com
Thu Mar 9 11:06:29 EST 2006

Hi all,

I'm just getting started learning Ruby and Rails and downloaded the
InstantRails-1.0 distribution to jumpstart my efforts.  Unfortunately I
am receiving an error "This application has failed to start because
iconv.dll was not found.  Re-installing the application may fix the
problem." when I attempt to generate the default structure for my test
app.

c:\InstantRails-1.0\rails_apps> rails test1

Pops us a dialog box with the error message but then appears to work.  I
also receive the same error (twice) when executing

c:\InstantRails-1.0\rails_apps\test1>ruby script\console

While it doesn't appear to be affecting anything yet it is annoying to
have it happening every time I am trying to start things up.

--Bill