[Instantrails-users] AppTrain and how to trouble shoot in IR app setup.

Curt Hibbs curt.hibbs at gmail.com
Tue Mar 7 11:39:17 EST 2006

On 3/7/06, jlm at justinfront.net <jlm at justinfront.net> wrote:
> Hi
> I am using instant rails which is really cool.  But every time I
> download a rails application it invariably does not work, with help I
> managed to get Rforum working but I am now trying AppTrain, however I
> have no idea what to do when things just don't work ie you 'start'
> webbrick and it just flashes a black screen up I have no error messages
> to check or..., it would be great if I could get advice on how to go
> about trouble shooting.  But generally it seems that any rails app needs
> mods before running in instant rails, maybe some guides on this would be
> useful, if there is something in the Agile Web dev Rail book
> specifically that I should read then let me know.

A Rails app shouldn't need any special mods to run under Instant Rails. What
mods did you have to make for Rforum?

If you're getting errors when you start WEBrick, then you really want to
start WEBrick manually so that you can see the errors. You can do this by
opening a Ruby console window using the menu command ">>Rails
Applications>>Open Ruby Console Window", then use CD to change your
directory to your rails app, and finally start WEBrick using the command
"ruby script\server".