[Instantrails-users] InstantRails Installation Woes

Spolarich, Brian bspolarich at picometrix.com
Mon Jun 26 23:37:41 EDT 2006

  [Crossposted from the 'rails' list as well, but I'd prefer to get
InstantRails working if possible. -bws]

  I have a fairly new (read, reasonably "clean") XP SP2 system that I'm
attempting to use as a Rails dev environment.

  I've tried it two ways, 1) with InstantRails and 2) with the Rails
package and doing the install by hand.  Both result in a weird set of
'hangs', so I suspect something fundamental is at work here.

  Basically I can start Ruby apps, but they just seem to sit there and
do nothing.  Windows Firewall is of course installed, but it is

  With the InstantRails route I can start the InstantRails manager
utility, and it starts Apache and MySQL.  If I follow the instructions I
can connect to my applications (they supply two samples), but nothing
happens after the redirect.  If I launch WEBrick from the InstantRails
manager WEBrick starts in a console window, but when I attempt to
connect to localhost:3000 I get no output.  If I telnet to 'localhost
3000' and send 'HEAD / HTTP/1.0\n\n' I get nothing as well.  Ruby is
executing (I see the process) but is waiting for something.

  So I try downloading Ruby, installing it and Gem.  Both install
cleanly.  When I attempt 'gem install rails', I see this:

Attempting local installation of 'rails'
Local gem file not found: rails*.gem
Attempting remote installation of 'rails'

  The ruby process sits and does nothing for a long time, and it ignores
Control-C signals.  It seems to be connecting to something though:

  ruby.exe:5640	TCP	foo.mycompany.com:1505
unknown18.109.234.205.defenderhosting.com:http	ESTABLISHED

  Something on my system seems to be making Ruby sick in general.  My
other laptop works just fine, so I know the sources I'm using are
working.  I want to use Ruby on THIS machine though. :-)

  On the working system everything works ('gem install rails', etc.).
On the nonworking system nothing seems to work.

Brian W. Spolarich ~ Manager, Information Services
  Advanced Photonix / Picometrix ~ 734-864-5618
            bspolarich at picometrix.com