[Instantrails-users] Instant Rails and your own applications

Ian Connor ian.connor at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 07:21:26 EDT 2006

This does look interesting but I have a few other complications due to the
application.

It is a collaboration site that can host many projects, each project has its
own hostname, so in the server world a wildcard domain entry does the trick.

In our case *.pllite.com so that users can pick a project name
project1.pllite.com, project2.pllite.com and so forth.

However, when you run this locally, you can create a "localhost" project but
then you run out without access to a dns domain pointing at you or editing
your hosts file.

I guess, I could script it when running locally to update the host file -
just looking for the neatest solution.

Regards,
Ian Connor

PS here is the project with SVN location as it has now been released to open
source:
http://ianconnor.blogspot.com/2006/06/projectlounge-lite-released-to-open.html

On 6/2/06, Tim Uckun <timuckun at gmail.com> wrote:

> See http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/distributingrubyapplications/index.html
> for some ideas on how you can distribute your ruby applications.
>
> On 5/28/06, Ian Connor <ian.connor at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks - I am trying this!
> >
> > ... just looked too easy to be true.
> >
> > Ian
> >

> > On 5/27/06, Curt Hibbs <curt.hibbs at gmail.com > wrote:
> > >

> > On 5/27/06, Ian Connor <ian.connor at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > I was hoping for a one click install and people to not even know how
> > use mysql or migrate type stuff.
> > >
> > > However, I am not sure coping the sources will be enough as I would
> need
> > to create a database.
> > >
> > > Having said that, this might be my ignorance on how these things work.
> If
> > I have all the sql in the migration directory, how can I make sure it is
> run
> > before the user starts?
> > >

> > You don't need to do this at all.
> >
> > You can set up your database and populate its tabes with data and then
> zip
> > up the Instant Rails directory tree. This is how the cookbook sample app
> is
> > delivered with Instant Rails (take a look at the cookbook database,
> you'l
> > see all the tables there with data).
> >
> > If you need to do more at installation time, then you'd have to create a
> > true installer. You could take a look at NSIS, which is used by the
> > One-Click Ruby Installer for Windows:
> >
> >   http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page
> >
> > Curt

> > --