[Instantrails-users] Apache Config Question

Axiom Dadak axiomdadak at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 16:11:43 EDT 2006

Ok, I solved it!

It took a lot of playing around, but I've got it working now.

This is how you setup a rails application in apache using aliases and SCGI:

(in this case, my application is called scotch and it usses port 9997)
httpd.conf ->

Alias /scotch/ "${path}/rails_apps/scotch/public/"
SCGIMount /scotch/dispatch.fcgi 127.0.0.1:9997
<Directory "${path}/rails_apps/scotch/public">
  Options ExecCGI
  Options +FollowSymLinks
  Order allow,deny
  allow from all
</Directory>

Then in the .htaccess file in the application's public directory ->

AddHandler fastcgi-script .fcgi
AddHandler cgi-script .cgi
Options +FollowSymLinks +ExecCGI
RewriteEngine On
RewriteBase /scotch
RewriteRule ^$ index.html [QSA]
RewriteRule ^([^.]+)$ $1.html [QSA]
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} !-f
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ /scotch/dispatch.fcgi/$1 [QSA,L]
ErrorDocument 500 "<h2>Application error</h2>Rails application failed to
start properly"

Then, when you're ready to run your application, start the SCGI server
through the "instantrails->manage applications" control pannel.

And it works great!

I'll be posting this to the wiki soon.

Bram