[Instantrails-users] Instantrails-users Digest, Vol 9, Issue 1

Scott Porad scott at porad.com
Tue Jun 6 21:22:11 EDT 2006


unsubscribe 

-----Original Message-----
From: instantrails-users-bounces at rubyforge.org
[mailto:instantrails-users-bounces at rubyforge.org] On Behalf Of
instantrails-users-request at rubyforge.org
Sent: Sunday, June 04, 2006 5:40 PM
To: instantrails-users at rubyforge.org
Subject: Instantrails-users Digest, Vol 9, Issue 1

Send Instantrails-users mailing list submissions to
	instantrails-users at rubyforge.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/instantrails-users
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	instantrails-users-request at rubyforge.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
	instantrails-users-owner at rubyforge.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific than
"Re: Contents of Instantrails-users digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re: Instant Rails and your own applications (Tim Uckun)
   2. new here and starting out (Mark Fellowes)
   3. Scipt command (Mark Fellowes)
   4. Re: Scipt command (Mark Fellowes)
   5. Re: new here and starting out (Curt Hibbs)
   6. Re: Scipt command (Curt Hibbs)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2006 12:28:41 +1200
From: "Tim Uckun" <timuckun at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Instantrails-users] Instant Rails and your own
	applications
To: instantrails-users at rubyforge.org
Message-ID:
	<855e4dcf0606011728u21cc11e6od16d91a69f847f5e at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8; format=flowed

See http://www.erikveen.dds.nl/distributingrubyapplications/index.html
for some ideas on how you can distribute your ruby applications.

On 5/28/06, Ian Connor <ian.connor at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks - I am trying this!
>
> ... just looked too easy to be true.
>
> Ian
>
>
> On 5/27/06, Curt Hibbs <curt.hibbs at gmail.com > wrote:
> >
>
> On 5/27/06, Ian Connor <ian.connor at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > I was hoping for a one click install and people to not even know how 
> > to
> use mysql or migrate type stuff.
> >
> > However, I am not sure coping the sources will be enough as I would 
> > need
> to create a database.
> >
> > Having said that, this might be my ignorance on how these things 
> > work. If
> I have all the sql in the migration directory, how can I make sure it 
> is run before the user starts?
> >
>
> You don't need to do this at all.
>
> You can set up your database and populate its tabes with data and then 
> zip up the Instant Rails directory tree. This is how the cookbook 
> sample app is delivered with Instant Rails (take a look at the 
> cookbook database, you'l see all the tables there with data).
>
> If you need to do more at installation time, then you'd have to create 
> a true installer. You could take a look at NSIS, which is used by the 
> One-Click Ruby Installer for Windows:
>
>   http://nsis.sourceforge.net/Main_Page
>
> Curt
>
> _______________________________________________
>
> Instantrails-users mailing list
> Instantrails-users at rubyforge.org
> http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/instantrails-users
>
>
>
>
> --
> Regards,
> Ian Connor
> _______________________________________________
> Instantrails-users mailing list
> Instantrails-users at rubyforge.org
> http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/instantrails-users
>
>


------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 15:32:26 GMT
From: Mark Fellowes <Zanoni at goowy.com>
Subject: [Instantrails-users] new here and starting out
To: instantrails-users at rubyforge.org
Message-ID: <aac34c89b8b040008dce513eba41c41a at webserver001>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

?New to the list, even newer to ROR.
I opted for InstantRails as I do not have a host for ROR yet and wish to
experiment first.
Questions: 
1- Is development the same as if I had installed the regular Ruby packages ?

2- I looked around the Instantrails site, maybe I'm wrong but not many
pointers to actual Ruby development, so from this point forward should I
stick with the regular ROR tutorials and learning books available ?

3-Off topic question - having little experience with programming (some with
PHP) is ROR still a recommened development package to use ? 

TIA
Mark
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/instantrails-users/attachments/20060604/0a78c
be0/attachment-0001.htm 

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 16:47:01 GMT
From: Mark Fellowes <Zanoni at goowy.com>
Subject: [Instantrails-users] Scipt command
To: instantrails-users at rubyforge.org
Message-ID: <3156bac7a2db40d99e2df03615e130d4 at webserver001>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

?I was able to "Create a New Rails App" via the IR gui.
However I'm now attempting to create a controller via the script command and
not sure how to go about it.

Just opening a CMD window, going to the path and typing ruby script /
generate doesn't seem to work.  Would that indicate my path is wrong (app is
availble / working fine on my localhost), do I do it from the ruby bin dir ?
Any help appreciated.

Mark
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/instantrails-users/attachments/20060604/2f787
331/attachment-0001.htm 

------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Sun, 04 Jun 2006 17:17:43 GMT
From: Mark Fellowes <Zanoni at goowy.com>
Subject: Re: [Instantrails-users] Scipt command
To: instantrails-users at rubyforge.org
Message-ID: <9cd7c68f16c64526b9e8dabfeca4b5b2 at webserver001>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"

?I should mention that when i run "ruby script/generate" I get a message
that I should either install the correct version of gem or put the correct
version in the .rb file.  It looks (not sure if I would really know) like
gem is installed and the correct version is in the .rb file.

By the way, this was  a fresh install of IR.  I downloaded 1.3a and
installed it. Should I have installed 1.3 first and then upgraded to a ? It
was a little confusing to a neophyte like me.

Mark



-----Original Message-----
From: Zanoni at goowy.com
Sent: Sunday, June 4, 2006 4:47 PM -07:00
To: instantrails-users at rubyforge.org
Subject: [Instantrails-users] Scipt command

I was able to "Create a New Rails App" via the IR gui.
However I'm now attempting to create a controller via the script command and
not sure how to go about it.

Just opening a CMD window, going to the path and typing ruby script /
generate doesn't seem to work.  Would that indicate my path is wrong (app is
availble / working fine on my localhost), do I do it from the ruby bin dir ?
Any help appreciated.

Mark
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/instantrails-users/attachments/20060604/b233c
b4d/attachment-0001.htm 

------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 19:38:26 -0500
From: "Curt Hibbs" <curt.hibbs at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Instantrails-users] new here and starting out
To: "Mark Fellowes" <Zanoni at goowy.com>,
	instantrails-users at rubyforge.org
Message-ID:
	<31d15f490606041738r6e845235k7a4f3fd3f258f2e0 at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

On 6/4/06, Mark Fellowes <Zanoni at goowy.com> wrote:
>
> New to the list, even newer to ROR.
>
> I opted for InstantRails as I do not have a host for ROR yet and wish 
> to experiment first.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1- Is development the same as if I had installed the regular Ruby 
> packages ?
>

Almost. The only difference would be that Instant Rails doesn't put the
ruby\bin directory on you path, so when you need a console window to run
Rails commands, you need to do it one of two ways. You can  open your
console window through the Instant Rails menus (this will put ruby\bin on
your path for that window). Or, you can manually add ruby\bin to the system
path yourself.

2- I looked around the Instantrails site, maybe I'm wrong but not many
> pointers to actual Ruby development, so from this point forward should 
> I stick with the regular ROR tutorials and learning books available ?
>

Bill Walton took my Rolling with Ruby on Rails tutorial that was published
at ONLamp.com and made an Instant Rails specific version of it. You can find
it here:


http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Rolling_With_Ruby_On_Instant_
Rails_Tutorial



3-Off topic question - having little experience with programming (some with
> PHP) is ROR still a recommened development package to use ?
>
>
You're asking the wrong group that questions, we're all going to be biased
towards RoR. After that admission of bias, I can unequivocally say Yes!

Curt
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/instantrails-users/attachments/20060604/4b2a7
468/attachment-0001.htm 

------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Sun, 4 Jun 2006 19:39:53 -0500
From: "Curt Hibbs" <curt.hibbs at gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Instantrails-users] Scipt command
To: "Mark Fellowes" <Zanoni at goowy.com>,
	instantrails-users at rubyforge.org
Message-ID:
	<31d15f490606041739h60529afhac102b98f9460f0e at mail.gmail.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

See the last reponse I sent on you other thread... I explain it there.

Curt

On 6/4/06, Mark Fellowes <Zanoni at goowy.com> wrote:
>
> I should mention that when i run "ruby script/generate" I get a 
> message that I should either install the correct version of gem or put 
> the correct version in the .rb file. It looks (not sure if I would 
> really know) like gem is installed and the correct version is in the .rb
file.
>
>
> By the way, this was a fresh install of IR. I downloaded 1.3a and 
> installed it. Should I have installed 1.3 first and then upgraded to a ?
> It was a little confusing to a neophyte like me.
>
>
> Mark
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
>
> From: Zanoni at goowy.com
>
> Sent: Sunday, June 4, 2006 4:47 PM -07:00
>
> To: instantrails-users at rubyforge.org
>
> Subject: [Instantrails-users] Scipt command
>
>
> I was able to "Create a New Rails App" via the IR gui.
>
> However I'm now attempting to create a controller via the script 
> command and not sure how to go about it.
>
>
> Just opening a CMD window, going to the path and typing ruby script / 
> generate doesn't seem to work. Would that indicate my path is wrong 
> (app is availble / working fine on my localhost), do I do it from the ruby
bin dir ?
> Any help appreciated.
>
>
> Mark
>
> _______________________________________________
> Instantrails-users mailing list
> Instantrails-users at rubyforge.org
> http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/instantrails-users
>
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://rubyforge.org/pipermail/instantrails-users/attachments/20060604/6867c
87c/attachment.htm 

------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Instantrails-users mailing list
Instantrails-users at rubyforge.org
http://rubyforge.org/mailman/listinfo/instantrails-users

End of Instantrails-users Digest, Vol 9, Issue 1
************************************************



More information about the Instantrails-users mailing list