[Instantrails-users] new here and starting out

Curt Hibbs curt.hibbs at gmail.com
Sun Jun 4 20:38:26 EDT 2006

On 6/4/06, Mark Fellowes <Zanoni at goowy.com> wrote:

> New to the list, even newer to ROR.
>
> I opted for InstantRails as I do not have a host for ROR yet and wish to
> experiment first.
>
> Questions:
>
> 1- Is development the same as if I had installed the regular Ruby packages
> ?

Almost. The only difference would be that Instant Rails doesn't put the
ruby\bin directory on you path, so when you need a console window to run
Rails commands, you need to do it one of two ways. You can  open your
console window through the Instant Rails menus (this will put ruby\bin on
your path for that window). Or, you can manually add ruby\bin to the system
path yourself.

2- I looked around the Instantrails site, maybe I'm wrong but not many
> pointers to actual Ruby development, so from this point forward should I
> stick with the regular ROR tutorials and learning books available ?

Bill Walton took my Rolling with Ruby on Rails tutorial that was published
at ONLamp.com and made an Instant Rails specific version of it. You can find
it here:

http://instantrails.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Rolling_With_Ruby_On_Instant_Rails_Tutorial

3-Off topic question - having little experience with programming (some with
> PHP) is ROR still a recommened development package to use ?

You're asking the wrong group that questions, we're all going to be biased
towards RoR. After that admission of bias, I can unequivocally say Yes!