[Instantrails-users] Instantrails or mongrel?

Larry Kelly ldk2005 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 22:57:14 EDT 2006

On 7/21/06, Tim Uckun <timuckun at gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems to me if you distributed mongrel, ruby and sqllite then you
> would not need apache, mysql, or php. Would make for a much smaller
> package.
>
> Just a thought.

Would developing  in sqlite,  and  deploying to MySQL require any code
changes / compromises, ( other than changing the production settings in
config.yml)?  If not, then it's not worth reducing the size of the package.
For the following reasons:

1.  Apache, MySQL and phpMyAdmin are known quatities that work.

2.  An application developed in InstantRails can be deployed to a Liniux
hosting server without any changes. ( most of them provide MySQL).

Of course, you could create an InstantRailsLite . . . :)

-Larry

On 7/22/06, Curt Hibbs <curt.hibbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On 7/21/06, Tim Uckun <timuckun at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I was wondering if instantrails is planning on migrating to mongrel?
> >
> > Yes. We're going to replace SCGI with Mongrel. And that should be fairly
> > soon, too (as soon as I can free up a little bandwidth).
> >
> > Curt

Best Regards,
-Larry
"Work, work, work...there is no satisfactory alternative."
            --- E.Taft Benson