[Instantrails-users] browser connection issue to http://localhost:3000/ on XP ?

gregsfm at tpg.com.au gregsfm at tpg.com.au
Fri Jul 14 17:33:20 EDT 2006

I think I have network issue on my XP PC here trying to run up
InstantRails and using it.  I create an application and run up the
server "ruby scripts/server" and it runs up, but then when I try to
browse to it the browser just sits and spins and doesn't connect  :(

Note that I posted this at
http://www.ruby-forum.com/topic/73035#new however (a) no luck yet and
(b) perhaps this is an instantrails related issue???

* I've tried: localhost:3000,, + the IP
address that "ipconfig" reports but no luck.

* I did have ZoneAlarm installed but I deinstalled this and restarted.

* I did a month ago come across this problem and someone had posted a
windows command prompt line that did something like clear the XP network
connections or something, however now I can't find this again :(

Can anyone help / give pointers re getting my browser to be able to
connect to webbrick on XP?    (sounds stupid I know, but I'm stumped)

Thanks in advance
<cut>thanks, but I think none of these help - can anyone shed any light on
this one?  Is there another network level diagnostic or reset I can run
to see what's going on between the browser and the webrick server?  OS
again is Windows XP.

[1] hosts file is good       localhost       www.mycookbook.com

[2] ipconfig /flushdns => didn't help - this wasn't the command I had
found previously that made things work I don't think (i.e. the one which
I now can't find on the net)

[3] Windows XP firewall is off, and I've deinstalled zonealarm

[4] Also if this helps here is an netstat output - you can see that the
browser does seemed to have triggered a TCP connection to the laptop I
guess (?)
Active Connections
  Proto  Local Address          Foreign Address        State
  TCP    FREDS_LAPTOP:1180      localhost:1181         ESTABLISHED
  TCP    FREDS_LAPTOP:1181      localhost:1180         ESTABLISHED
  TCP    FREDS_LAPTOP:1365      localhost:3000         ESTABLISHED
  TCP    FREDS_LAPTOP:3000      localhost:1365         ESTABLISHED
Active Routes:
Network Destination        Netmask          Gateway       Interface
1               2
1               4
Default Gateway:

thanks again