[Instantrails-users] FX Ruby and directory structure

Curt Hibbs curt.hibbs at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 11:26:11 EDT 2006

On 7/10/06, Mark Fellowes <Zanoni at goowy.com> wrote:

> Two questions maybe seperate issues:
>

> First the directory structure - Seems like there are a number of different
> top level diretories under c:\InstantRails. Most of them I can understand
> but the \ruby is the one that concerns me.
>

> Under c:\instantrails\ruby, you have \lib but in that directory is another
> \ruby which has a
>
> \1.8 ( this seems to contain other ruby libraries
>

> \gems (this has only a \1.8 directory under it - yet in there is a \gems
> which looks like extensions , including the rails stuff
>

> There seems to be alot of different gems directories. Which because I'm
> new to Ruby didn't concern me but was in the back of my mind to understand
> better. Particulary when I wish to do updates, gem installs, or even svn
> (which I have not really got to yet).

This is the standard Ruby directory structure and has nothing to do with
Instant Rails (i.e., we have no control over this). Instant Rails is just a
user if Ruby.

As far as the FXRuby question, I see 2 packages under the \gems\1.8\gems
> fxruby1.2 and fxruby1.4.4. Yet when I try to install it fails with a "not
> found in repository" which I'm guessing is the local repository ? Then why
> wouldn't it go out and look for it elsewhere ? Also on the FXRuby page it
> talks about the libFOX-1.4.so file which I can't find anywhere.

Instant Rails uses the One-Click Runy Installer for Windows for is Ruby
runtime. This Ruby distro contains a number of Ruby extensions preinstalled
(see: http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/). This includes two versions
FXRuby. These are already installed and ready to use.

If you want to see a list of installed RubyGems, open a console through the
Instant Rails menus and run the command: "gem list".

Curt

Hope these questions are somewhat understandable at least. Appreciate any