[Instantrails-users] Problems getting started

Curt Hibbs curt.hibbs at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 23:49:06 EST 2006

On 1/25/06, Bill Walton <bill.walton at charter.net> wrote:

> Hi Stephen,
>
> First, a note on the IP address WEBrick is reporting.  I get exactly the
> same display.  I'm pretty sure it's not the source of your problem.  I
> believe, but have not tested to verify, that it's a function of the fact
> that I'm working on a box that's a member of a private subnet behind a
> router.  At any rate, I have no problem with Instant Rails / WEBrick (I
> did
> have major problems trying to use Apache).  The browser finds the app
> using
> either http://127.0.0.1:3000 or at http://localhost:3000 (localhost is
> mapped to that address in the Windows hosts file).
>
> More to the point of my response, I've just finished an update of Curt's
> "Rolling with Ruby on Rails" tutorial that's specific to Instant
> Rails.  The
> first bit of it deals with installing, configuring, and verifying the
> setup.
> I haven't timed it but I think it takes about 15 minutes max assuming
> you've
> still got the original .zip file.  If you're up to it, I'd really like to
> know if the instruction set works on your configuration. I've verified it
> on
> my Win2K boxes (SP2 and SP4) but I don't have an XP box to try it on.
>
> I think there's a good chance that, for a lot of people, Instant Rails
> will
> be their first taste of Rails.

I just want to take this opportunity to thank you again for doing this. This
will be a great service to the community as I agree with you whole heartedly
that Instant Rails will be the first intro for many people (Instant Rails
debuted only 3.5 months ago and there have already been over 22,000
downloads!).

Curt

If there's a problem with certain configs,