[Instantrails-users] Problems getting started

Bill Walton bill.walton at charter.net
Wed Jan 25 22:48:01 EST 2006

Hi Stephen,

First, a note on the IP address WEBrick is reporting.  I get exactly the
same display.  I'm pretty sure it's not the source of your problem.  I
believe, but have not tested to verify, that it's a function of the fact
that I'm working on a box that's a member of a private subnet behind a
router.  At any rate, I have no problem with Instant Rails / WEBrick (I did
have major problems trying to use Apache).  The browser finds the app using
either http://127.0.0.1:3000 or at http://localhost:3000 (localhost is
mapped to that address in the Windows hosts file).

More to the point of my response, I've just finished an update of Curt's
"Rolling with Ruby on Rails" tutorial that's specific to Instant Rails.  The
first bit of it deals with installing, configuring, and verifying the setup.
I haven't timed it but I think it takes about 15 minutes max assuming you've
still got the original .zip file.  If you're up to it, I'd really like to
know if the instruction set works on your configuration. I've verified it on
my Win2K boxes (SP2 and SP4) but I don't have an XP box to try it on.

I think there's a good chance that, for a lot of people, Instant Rails will
be their first taste of Rails.  If there's a problem with certain configs,
I'd like to be able to warn folks rather than have them waste their time and
get a bad impression of Rails.  Sure would appreciate your help.  If you're
willing, let me know and I'll email you the tutorial offline.

Best regards,
Bill