[Instantrails-users] One Last Question for me..

MaxSteel maxsteel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 01:41:16 EST 2006

And then I should be ready to roll with my project..  I have some fine
tuning of the looks to do after, but funtionality first!

This is probably a rails question.. but I'm not sure where to sign up
for the rails questions email group?  (I guess I turned this into a 2
question email).

I'll ask here and then if someone will send me the url of where I go
to sign up for the rails type questions, that'd be great!

now let's see if i can explain it:

(once again using the recipe example provided)

by default after you edit a category name, it "redirects" to a showing
of the new category name (by id)  eg:  /category/show/6

because I've feverishly edited the show.rhtml (for a different
purpose) I get nasty errors after updating the category name.

What is the easiest way to change that so it redirects back to say
/category/list ?

i know that:
def show
redirect_to :action => 'list'
end

will work, but that will kill my current "show" (for category controller):
      @categories = Category.find_all
      @recipes = Recipe.find_all
      @c = @params['c']
      @r = @params['r']
      @recipe = Recipe.find(@params["r"])

is there some way to accomplish this with an if/else statement?

I've googled high and low.. I can't seem to find much documentation on
controller syntax, so it's easily errored (anyone have a good site for
this? ..please?)

my attempts has lead me to such:

def show
   if
      redirect_to :action => 'list'
   else
      @categories = Category.find_all
      @recipes = Recipe.find_all
      @c = @params['c']
      @r = @params['r']
      @recipe = Recipe.find(@params["r"])
   end
end

I just don't know what to put after the if to say if (url) "
/category/show/id# " then redirect_to :action => 'list'
else just pass the params.

If anyone can help much appreciated..

(hope that made sense)

If I can get it to work I'm willing to pass on my recipe 2.0, if you
will, to anyone who cares to take a peek!

Thanks again!
Ryan