[Instantrails-users] instant rails with radrails

Tanner Burson tanner.burson at gmail.com
Wed Jan 4 13:51:31 EST 2006

On 1/4/06, Frank Hale <frankhale at gmail.com> wrote:

> Don't shoot me for asking this but is there really a point in having
> the manager app a Windows executable? The only problem I see with it
> is that it makes it difficult for others to help develop it because it
> ( I may be wrong here ) assumes the person wanting to help develop has
> Visual Studio?
>
> Did I hear talk somewhere about making the manager app a full blown
> Rails app? Has there been much talk/discussion about this because I
> can foresee a seriously nice web front end that would be easy for
> those interested in helping to shape and mature it.

Yes, yes you did.  And that's exactly the plan, to develop a Rails app,
capable of running in WEBrick that will serve the same function as the
current Windows only manager app.

What technical challenges would one run into trying to create an
> Instant Rails that would run on linux? Would it be a matter of just
> setting up the same sorts of scripts that set the path's correctly and
> such?

It's a bit more involved than that as all of the dependencies, Apache,
Mysql, the bindings, etc. have to be built for those systems as well as have
all of the scripts ported to allow it to be used in the same manner.  But
this is exactly the plan, and something I should begin working on very
shortly!

On 1/4/06, Curt Hibbs <curt.hibbs at gmail.com> wrote:
> > These are all good things.
> >
> > For Instant Rails 2.0 we will have a much better user interface in the
> > manager app, and it'd be nice for users to be able to add their own
> tools
> > (or to enable "plugins" or "addons" to Instant Rails). But for now, its
> good
> > enough just to tell people how they can simply create their own "
> > radrails.cmd" file, or whatever.
> >
> > Curt
> >
> > On 1/4/06, Frank Hale <frankhale at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > yeah, I wasn't thinking that far ahead =) Sorry...

===Tanner Burson===
tanner.burson at gmail.com
http://tannerburson.com   <---Might even work one day...