[Instantrails-users] Problem getting started

Bill Walton bill.walton at charter.net
Tue Jan 3 17:44:06 EST 2006

Hi Curt,.

I decided to try IR on my second system (a Win2K laptop that I'm using now).  It went like a charm.  No problems starting the web server at all.  Aside from adding thewww.mycookbook.com entry to the Windows hosts file per the readme file, I didn't have to edit any config files.  That makes me think there could be something happening as a result of my unsuccessful efforts at installing Rails per your RwRoR article.  Or perhaps there's a problem in the diff between Win2K SP2 and Win2K SP4 (the laptop is SP2).  Or...

Since it worked on this system, I decided to take down the other system and start over.  So I in the put the install CD, formatted the primary drive (a brand-new 80GB), and started setup.  Long story short...  I think the disk controller died.  So it may have been hardware-related somehow all along.

The good new is, IR is working on this system.  The bad news is, now I don't have a great tutorial like your article and I'll have to figure out a bunch of stuff re: getting started doing development on my own.

Best regards,
Bill